I'm all about constant self-improvement and I'm usually the first one to shut down the idea of "New Year's Resolutions" in a group discussion because they have quite the reputation to be synonymous to "January Resolutions... never mind the 11 months after", but lately I've been giving it some thought and it's just like a lot of things in life; it all depends on your perspective and in what way you go about trying to achieve it.
The idea of a New Year is always very exciting to me - albeit every single New Years Eve I have been in bed with a book - because for me it represents new beginnings, a hope for new and exciting things and a possible "new leaf", if you will. Looking back on 2015, I can't help but smile because it was such a massive year for me. I changed and grew into myself so much and I've never felt so "Maria" before. This time last year I was frantically trying to decide whether I should move out or not and the simple "yes, I think I will" when I received my acceptance letter to the University of Queensland sparked a whole chain of events in my life that have brought me here, to Brisbane, in which I am surrounded by some of the most fantastic people I've ever met.
I think every year you change, grow and adapt without even realising it, it all happens right under your nose. It's not until you wake up one morning and realise, "Wow. I can't believe I got through that... I never thought that was possible". The future scares me very much, because I like to know things, and the future is so unknown and mysterious and exciting that there's only so much we can control. So, without further ado I would like to list ten things I would like to do in 2016:
1. Get my driver's license! *broom broom*
2. Read classic literature more often, this will motivate me to write frequently, and better.
3. Establish a responsible financial position. After all, I am an adult now, and the sooner one can control their doll in a responsible fashion, the better!
4. Go on adventures more! Say yes to spontaneous outings! Travel outside the QLD border for the first time! (I'm coming for you in March, Sydney!)
5. Continue to love deeply, wholly and selflessly.
6. Look at the big picture, but also take into account the importance of doing one's best every day.
7. ESTABLISH A SOMEWHAT NORMAL SLEEPING PATTERN, for the love of peace!
8. Make a conscious effort to discuss people in a respectful, kind manner.
9. Continue to follow and trust my gut feeling.
10. Improve my spiritual life, and have a little more faith.
Happy New Year, friends. What are you going to do in 2016?